Book Review - Notorious RBG

 

When John Lewis died I wanted to read more about his life's work. I felt the same about Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I thought I knew a lot about RBG. 

This book gave me a lot more information about her legal fights, so many of which took place when I was a young woman in the 1970s. 

 Her court cases brought back so many memories of what women were not able to do before Judge Ginsburg. We couldn't have a credit card in our own names. We were denied jobs because we were pregnant or just of pregnant age. I remember being asked my the mortgage loan officer what kind of bird control I used, when my husband and I were buying our first home. 

 So much was at stake then and is at stake once again. 

Authors Irin Carmon and Shan Knizhnik describe their book... "If you want to understand how an underestimated woman changed the world and is still out there doing the work, we got you. If you picked up this book only to learn how to get buff like an octogenarian who can do twenty push-ups, there's a chapter for you too. We even were lucky enough to wrangle some of the most brilliant legal minds out there to help us annotate key passages from RBG's legal writing.

RBG has been extraordinary all her life, but she never wanted to be a solo performer. She is committed to bringing up other women and underrepresented people, and to working together with her colleagues even when it seems impossible. We are frankly in awe of what we've learned about her, and we're pretty excited to share it with you."