What I am Reading to Raise My Spirit

 


When Bad Things Happen to Good People by Harold S. Kushner


I feel like bad things are happening to a lot of good people. The racists and bullies feel empowered. There have been many times I have asked myself, if there is a God why is he/she/it so absent? How can children be thrown into cages, dragged from their parents arms? How can so many black men and women be killed and their killers go free?

Rabbi Kushner takes a long look at this question. He does not believe that there is a god that can control what humans do. Nor can that higher power control hurricanes and earthquakes. 

Mayor Pete really is one of the most brilliant politicians in the U.S. these days. He has a huge future ahead of him. I feel that even more after reading his book "Trust."

Favorite Quote: "The act of God is the courage of people to rebuild their lives after the earthquake, and the rush of others to help them in whatever way they can."





Trust by Pete Buttigieg


I thought Pete Buttigieg was one of the most brilliant politicians in the U.S. before I read "Trust." My opinion of him grew even more after reading his book.  In this short book Buttigieg discusses why trust in our government and each other is so important. He then examines how it has disappeared in the U.S. and how Russia is stoking the fires to destroy Americans trust in each other and democracy. He then looks at  how we can rebuild it.

Mayor Pete has a great political future ahead of him. We just might see him some day be president.

Favorite Quote: "For all the peril of this moment, for all the political division and racial anguish and institutional erosion, this moment is filled with possibility."





My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry 

by Fredrik Backman


I was in desperate need of an uplifting piece of fiction. I had tried three times to read Resistance Women by Jennifer Chiaverini but never could get past Chapter Nine. The descriptions of what was happening in Germany during the early rise of Hitler felt way to similar to what has been happening in the U.S. under Trump.

Several friends mentioned Fredrik Backan's book My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry. I love the characters and fairytale lessons for being brave. I am savoring it and look forward to finishing it tonight with my dogs snuggled in close and a glass of wine.