Grandma's Christmas Cookies



Every year growing up, Grandma's cookie package would arrive at our house a few weeks before Christmas. Inside would be shoe boxes full of pecan tarts, date swirls, cherry winks and my favorites Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls.

Mom would want to make sure that we still had some cookies left for Christmas Eve so would put them all in the freezer and take out a small plateful at a time. Grandma always packaged the Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls in a coffee can. 

I remember that coffee can in the freezer being so cold as I removed a couple to defrost. They looked so good I couldn't wait and bit into one that was frozen. Yummm. They were delicious.

I looked up and Mom was watching me. She could tell by the look on my face that freezing was no longer an option to save some Peanut Butter Balls for Christmas Eve. She reached into the cold coffee can and tried one for herself and smiled. Yup. Delicious - even frozen.

You can tell by the condition of the recipe card that we have made those cookies many times since Grandma died. The handwriting is my mom's.