Top Ten Tips From My Favorite Magazines - April/May 2024


#1   I saw this stacked planter in the latest issue of Better Homes and Gardens Container Gardening. I thought it would make a fabulous divider to hide the hose, tools and other garden junk.





#2   I always love High/Low articles in magazines, where this list an item that they liked that was one the expensive side and then list a similar item they found that's much cheaper. I thought this mid-century retro birdhouse was cute buy out of my budget at $249. (pleasant ranch.com). The $21 version is out of stock on amazon.com. But I found it for $40.86 Canadian dollars (about $30 U.S.) on amazon.com.ca




#3   I loved the white ceramic face vase on this month's cover of Prevention magazine. I did not find that exact one but there are dozens to choose from on Amazon




#4  I found this article about dahlias the Modern Gardens Small Gardens Special. I have had a love affair with dahlias ever since I moved to Mexico. Did you know they are Mexico's National Flower?




#5  The First For Women magazine always has so many good tips and tricks. My favorite in the May 20th issue is to rub silverware with the inside of a banana peel to lift tarnish. Who knew?



#6   I am so happy to see color returning to interior design. Seems like everything has been white, gray, tan for a very long time. I have had a a completely new relationship with color since moving to Mexico. The May issue of Better Homes and Gardens combines peach and a wine red in a bedroom. Loved it. Peach Fuzz was names Pantone's color of the year for 2024. I never thought of pairing it with a deep red.



#7  Also recommended by BH&G is to skip social media one day a week. I really like that idea. I am thinking of skipping it on Saturday or Sunday.



#8  Real Simple magazine has a special issue about dogs. In it they have a list of human food that are healthy for dogs including... apples, bananas, carrots, green beans, sweet potatoes, peanut butter and plain green yogurt.



#9  Psychologies Magazine mentions that May is National Walking month. They say walking is one of the best ways to keep not only your body, but also your mind in shape.



#10  And of course HGTV magazine always has some of my favorite ideas. I love how they painted the inside of these shelves a different color.

Note... I usually buy my magazines online. I find the easiest way to have access to lots of magazines is with the Apple News+ app or with the Zinio app. Your subscription to Apple News+ includes a huge number of magazines for you to read. Zinio was the first magazine app I ever read and I still like it. You pay for each magazine, so I usually only buy the magazines I cannot find on Apple News+